Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Day 36: Storm

I got hit by another carp today.  It slammed into my arm and leg as I ducked to avoid it.  I had fish slime on my shorts all day and didn't notice until camp that night.


We did 61 miles in about 11 hours.  We think 70 mile days will be possible now.  It's pretty exciting.


We camped on the lawn of a marina in Portage Des Sioux.  There were lots of big, nice boats.  Some of them looked like people lived in them.


We knew storms were in the forecast and we got rained on while cooking and eating dinner.  We went to bed hoping nothing too serious would pop up in the middle of the night.  Still, we left the weather radio on so we could be warned if anything severe started.  Sure enough, we awoke to the annoying sound of the radio making that screeching weather warning sound.  Shortly thereafter the wind started and rain began pelting our tent.  Soon enough we were sitting upright holding the corner poles of our tent to give it a little extra strength.  Every once in awhile a gust would come and I was sure one of the poles was going to give way.  The trusty Eureka held up though, and eventually the winds (supposedly 60 mph gusts) started to die down. 


It was a stressful night.  I past out almost immediately after the wind died down.  According to Anders though it picked back up and he stayed awake another half hour holding the corner poles.  I must have been pretty beat to sleep through a second round of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment