Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Leaving Today!

After four years of dreaming, a year of consciously saving money, and about 6 months of actively planning and studying I'm embarking on a canoe trip down the Mississippi River.  It was at the very table I am writing this from that I first brought the idea up to my parents four years ago.  I was griping about how I felt trapped with student loans and couldn't afford to do anything adventurous or fun.  Their reactions:




Mom, "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way to do it."
Dad, "Plan the plan and follow the plan."




Alright, I'll admit I'm not positive this is exactly what was said (it was four years ago after all), but my mom's reaction was very close to this and my dad says that line every other day.  Point of the story is that they were very supportive even though I'm sure they never thought it was actually going to happen. For that, mom and dad, I thank you.  You two are amazing.




Another person I would like to thank is Anders Carlson.  He's accompanying me on this 2,300 mile adventure from Lake Itasca to New Orleans.  Two and a half months is a long time to spend alone so I'm very happy he has decided to join me.


This was going to be longer, but our internet wasn't cooperating last night and I was experiencing some writer's block.  Hopefully future posts will be longer.  If you want to read Anders' report it can be found here http://mississippiriverblog.blogspot.com/ .  He's an English major.


Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. "He's an English major" - HAHA, made me laugh.
    Good luck Sean, can't wait to read more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I would like to say that I have been very impressed, for quite some time now, at what a good writer you are... And I was an English major! So there.

    ReplyDelete